St. Mary is a Roman Catholic Church with a growing parish in the Village of Valmeyer in Illinois.
We belong to the Metro-East Vicariate of the
Diocese of Belleville located approximately
20 miles south of St. Louis.
Our parish partners are Ss Peter and Paul in Waterloo and St Augustine of Canterbury in Hecker.
History of the Parish
1860s–1920s
Founding & First Church
St. Francis of Assisi, Harrisonville
The parish of the Seven Dolors of the Blessed Virgin was established in Old Valmeyer
on March 24, 1921. For an explanation of the
feast of the Seven Dolors of the Blessed Virgin, click here.
The Valmeyer parish was made a mission attached to St. Francis of Assisi
Church which had been founded in Harrisonville in 1866. The church was dedicated on Thanksgiving Day, 1923.
1930s–1940s
Growth & Flood Years
St. Mary, Old Valmeyer
In 1935, the church was extensively remodeled and expanded, and was dedicated in honor of the St. Mary
under the title of Seven Sorrows.
In 1940, due to the increased attendance at St. Mary, it was designated a parish and the
St. Francis of Assisi Church in Harrisonville became a mission. Also, a parsonage was constructed on
a lot directly west of the church.
In each of the years 1943, 1944, and 1945, St. Mary survived the floods that left behind muck and
mud to be shoveled out of the church.
1960s–1970s
Expansion & Renewal
In 1966-1967, a parish center was erected on the west end of Old Valmeyer.
In 1974, the bell which once called parishioners of St. Francis at Harrisonville, was dedicated to service
at St. Mary.
In 1979, St Mary Church was once again extensively remodeled.
Early 1990s
Sculpture & Great Flood
On Mother’s Day 1993 a marble sculpture of St. Mary’s patron saint, Seven Dolors of the Blessed Virgin,
was dedicated and placed in the yard of the church.
In 1993, St. Mary was hit by a flood far surpassing the floods of the 1940s. With the Village of Valmeyer
destroyed, but the congregation refusing to scatter, Mass was first held in the the Madonnaville church
and then in Gibault High School. In 1995 a fire in Gibault’s library destroyed a lot of St. Mary’s
belongings.
Mid 1990s
Fire & New Home
The bell tower
Because of the fire at Gibault, another move was necessary, and in late 1995 services were held in a
temporary trailer used by the Valmeyer school. Holy day Masses were shared with Madonnaville, but
Sunday worship continued at the school trailer until the completion of the new church in the relocated
Valmeyer on Christmas Eve, 1995. The bell, pictured right, was once again relocated.